- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup flour
- Dash of salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- vanilla wafer cookies (I use about 3/4 of a box because I like lots of cookies!)
- 3-4 bananas, sliced (depending on how much you like them, I use 3, sometimes only 2)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix 1/2 cup of the sugar, flour and salt on top of double boiler. Blend in 3 egg yolks and milk. Cook, uncovered, over boiling water 10-12 min, or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Place cookies first in the bottom of a 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Then layer bananas, and custard and repeat twice, ending in custard.
- Make sure when you separated your eggs that NO yolk got in your whites. Beat egg whites on high with an electric mixer until soft peaks form (My awesome Kitchen Aid did it in about 2 minutes!) then GRADUALLY add remaining 1/4 cup of sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon the meringue over the custard and spread evenly sealing well to the edge.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned! Top with more cookies if desired and ENJOY!!
Powered by Recipage