Monday, January 2, 2012

Bangkok Thai

    I just had Thai food for the first time ever! So yes, I'm going to blog about it, lol! I decided to look up restaurants in NOLA and came across this site: nomenu. I went through the long list of places to eat and Bangkok Thai just sounded good. I have never wanted to try Thai food at all, it was just sounding like fun. I looked Bangkok Thai up on urbanspoon as well and found some good ratings.      What caught my attention the most was the great prices and variety in the menu. One Thia enthusiast said this particular restaurant had more choices than others. So I suggested it to my husband and he decided it would be worth a try. Luckily for us Bradley has friends who love Thia food so they said they would meet us there and explain the cuisine. At this point I began to have second thoughts and decided to read the reviews again, only to find that I misread a couple of them (I blame it on the pregnancy...bad reading comprehension!). Many people said it was a "hole in the wall" (like so many restaurants in NOLA), "wasn't the best", and "needed improvement". I began to panic slightly, but there wasn't anything I could do since it was time to leave and we were meeting friends there!
    We made it to the restaurant, and it wasn't the prettiest but it most definitely did not look terrible. It was a small dining area filled with authentic decor and it smelled great! Our friends gave us a quick explanation of the dishes and we ordered. Thai cuisine is more often served in large portions and shared so that's what we did and it was a great thing too! We got to try four different dishes! I ordered the Pineapple Fried Rice with Chicken which is just fried rice with chicken, pineapple, eggs, green onion, and raisins. The raisins sounded weird but I promise it wasn't. This was by far my favorite dish! Bradley ordered the Pad Thai with Chicken which is rice noodles stir-fried with egg, peanuts, bean sprouts, and green onion. He ordered his the very hottest that they make! The waiter's exact response was "Oh somebody gonna cry!" LOL Bradley was freaking out! It must have been this particular restaurant (because we heard Thai food is very hot!) but I even ate Bradley's dish and it wasn't THAT hot. I can't take hot foods and even this wasn't that bad. Good flavor too! Our friends got Curry (I can't remember what kind) and I didn't like it, Bradley did. It was like a sweet soup with some veggies. There is no way to explain how Thai food tastes, its a flavor we have never had. The other dish we tried was Pad Kee Mow which is pan fried wide noodles with chilies, onion, bell pepper, and sweet basil. I wasn't crazy about that one either. I decided to try the Thai Iced Tea and I sort of liked it. Once again, no way to explain the taste, but our friends said it was similar to a Chai Tea. We also got to try some desserts thanks to our Thai loving friends. It was Mango with Sticky Rice, which is just white rice in some sweet sauce and a mango on top. It was good but we were so full we didn't really want it.
    Sorry this is way too long, but I am excited to share our fun experience! Hope this helps! Here is the menu for Bangkok Thai if you are interested! I would say go for it!
logos

No comments:

Post a Comment