Sunday, November 4, 2012

Apple Cake with Browned Butter Frosting

Sorry this isn't my actual picture.
I didn't get a picture of my finnished product. I got this from here.

I love this apple cake! It is so yummy and has such an interesting texture. I found it in a Southern Living magazine, tried it, and loved it. My husband is a fan too! What makes this cake over the edge great is the Browned Butter Frosting! Yummy!
 
Ingredients:
 
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples (about 4 large), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges (I use 2-3 because the more apples the chunkier the cake, and I didn't want a lot of apples.


Preheat oven to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.
 Stir together butter and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl until blended.
 Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture, stirring until blended. Stir in apples and 1 cup pecans. (Batter will be very thick, similar to a cookie dough.) Spread batter into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch pan.
 Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack (about 45 minutes). Spread with Browned Butter Frosting over top of cake; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup pecans.
 
Toasting the pecans.
 
Eggs.
Sugar
 
Right before the apples go in. It is very thick dough!
 
Before being cooked.


Finnished product minus the frosting
 

No comments:

Post a Comment